Food In Maui
Food has to be the most subjective topic. We love seafood, but other people never eat it. We will sometimes splurge out for fancy/expensive restaurants, and other folks see that as a waste of money. Many times we seek inexpensive comfort food, while other people only do fine dining. We value above all the quality of the food and value for money, but other friends pay more attention to the decor or the service. So with those caveats, here is our list of places we'd go back and eat again.
- Coconut from the side of the road (Makena). While going to Big Beach in Makena, you sometimes see coconuts sold on the side of the road for your drinking pleasure (cash only).
- Gannon's Red Bar (Wailea). Great views, especially at sunset, and we recommend it for Happy hour at the bar.
- Pita Paradise (in Wailea Gateway Center). Greek-inspired food with friendly service in a nice little garden.
- Pint and Cork (in Shops at Wailea). Great happy hour and good beer selection. It is also one of the very few places that is still open past-midnight in the entire South Maui. If you like beer also see our Beer and Alcohol section.
- [CLOSED] Sarento's On The Beach (Wailea).
On the fine dining side. Happy hour at the bar, or table with sunset view if you can reserve it.
- [CLOSED] 5 Palms Restaurant (Wailea).
Also on the better dining, great sunset views.
- Fred's Mexican Cafe (Kihei). The absolute nearest spot to our Kihei Akahi D-211 condo... and Moose McGillycuddy's (on the second floor above Fred's) is the closest you get to a bar for drinks near our condo.
- [CLOSED] 808 Bistro (Kihei).
Great island food with an Italian influence, behind the building that Fred's and Moose occupy, though you still get some views out to the sea.
- 808 Deli (Kihei). In front of 808 Bistro. Fantastic sandwiches to go. The same folks own the equally good 808 on Main in Wailuku, which is a sit down restaurant (different menu to the Deli).
- Coconut's Fish Cafe (Kihei). In the Rainbow Mall shopping center, right after 808 Deli. Our favorite fish tacos on the island.
- Da Kitchen (Kihei). This Kihei version is not as great as the one in Kahului, but the portions are local-style, deep fried, and very generous.
- Cafe O'Lei (Kihei). Best value at lunch time, you must have the blackened mahi mahi, and save space for one of their awesome desserts.
- Kinaole Grill (Kihei). Great food truck, parked opposite Kamaole I, at Alanui Ke'ali'i road (Kihei, HI 96753). Try the coconut shrimp or their calamari. Right next to them is a Aloha Thai Fusion food truck, which is also good.
- What Ales You (Kihei). Tasty food, bar environment, many beers on tap. Another good Happy Hour place.
- Cuatro Restaurant (Kihei). Near Foodland which you'll want to use as this is a BYOB place. Tasty Mediterranean style food.
- Sansei (Kihei). If you like sushi-type Asian food, this is a must visit, despite the long lines and prices. TIP: Look for the excellent late happy hour where almost everything is 50% off.
- Joy's Place (Kihei). Perhaps the healthiest sandwiches you'll ever have. A few shops down from Maui Dreams (see SCUBA page), opposite Cove Park (see Beaches page).
- Kihei Caffe (Kihei). If you only have the local Loco Moco dish once, have it here. Generally good breakfast place; busy; not fancy.
- Paia Fish Market South Side (Kihei). Delicious fish burgers. They also have locations in Paia and in Lahaina.
- Fat Daddy's Smokehouse BBQ (Kihei). Best BBQ on Maui, in this understated establishment with friendly service.
- Fork and Salad Maui (Kihei). If you like eating healthy salads sourced locally, this is the place to go (in the Azeka shopping center).
- Nalu's South Shore Grill (Kihei). Everything here is great, you can't go wrong, but if you want a recommendation get the tuna sandwich.
- Eskimo Candy (Kihei). Great poke.
- Tamura's (Kihei). Great poke here too. Also the largest selection of craft beer and wine in the area.
- Pizza Madness Maui (Kihei). Sports bar divey feel with large pizzas.
- Fabiani's (Kihei). Another pizza choice, that is also a bakery (try the chocolate macaroons). Has a large play area for kids.
- Peace Love Shave Ice (Kihei). Best Shave Ice in Kihei.
- Piko Cafe (Kihei). Great Hawaiian Plate, and even better Mixed Plate.
- Tanpopo (Kihei). Friendly owners - get the Chicken Katsu or Garlic Shrimp.
- Monsoon (Kihei). For Indian food while on Maui, this is one of the very few choices. In a resort in North Kihei.
- Sugar Beach Bake Shop (Kihei). Good place to stop as you are going or returning from West Maui and are craving something sweet.
- Dina's SandWitch (Kihei). If you get hungry while on the road to Ma'alaea, you can't go wrong with the sandwiches in this local-bar-style place.
- Mama's Fish House (Pa'ia). Expensive, but worth it for celebrating that special event. Must have reservation and go earlier in the day so that you can enjoy the view.
- Milagros (Pa'ia). Good Mexican food.
- Flatbread Company (Pa'ia). Good flatbreads.
- Tin Roof (Kahului). Take away, and you must try the Mochiko Chicken.
- Acevedo’s Hawaicano Café (Kahului). Our favorite Mexican-style food on-island, in a non-fancy setting.
- Poi by the Pound (Kahului).Best local food plate you can find on the entire island.
- Hali'imaile General Store (Upcountry). If you are around the Hali'imaile area at happy hour (seasonal) definitely worth eating lunch here.
- T. Komoda Store and Bakery (Upcountry). In Makawao, yummy stick donuts. They are supposed to have great malasadas too, but we never make it up there early enough to try them before they run out, maybe you'll be luckier than us.
- Sam Sato's (Wailuku). Very basic no frills place to have fantastic dry noodles and beef sticks.
- Mill House Restaurant (in the Maui Tropical Plantation at Waikapu). Great views of the West Maui mountain, with good food on the pricey side, in a classy setting. TIP: Go during the Happy Hour and order all the dishes off their limited HH menu.
- Leoda's Kitchen and Pie Shop (West Maui). Tasty dessert pies.
Captain Jack's Island Grill (West Maui). A bar rather than a restaurant, with filling food and good view of the banyan tree. Lahaina Grill (West Maui). If you must celebrate something with a very expensive meal in Lahaina, go here. Star Noodle (West Maui). Good-value, Asian-style food. Our go-to place in the Lahaina area.
- Maui Brewing Company Brewpub (West Maui). Unlike the Kihei location this MBC location at the Kahana Shopping Center and their happy hour flatbreads are not to be missed.
- Julia's Banana Bread (West Maui). This cash only stand on the side of the road is totally off the beaten path, and you would have to be brave enough to do the West Maui circle (single lane dirt road with 2-way traffic, where traffic related deaths have occurred). They do run out early, so you may be disappointed, but if you are in that area anyway and you are lucky you will be rewarded with amazing banana bread.
Looking for more stuff to do? Why not check out all of our recommendation lists for Maui: Maui Towns And Areas, Must Do, Road To Hana, Beaches, Nature, Food, Beer/Alcohol, Water Activities, Non-Water Activities, Shows and Events, Souvenirs, Grocery Shopping, and What The Owners Still Love About Maui.